Mastering Travel and Tourism

The past six months have been filled with an insane amount of writing. Ironically, none of it was for the blog.  I kept quiet about it, but in early 2015, I dedicated time and resources to a cause that I felt would help me to achieve a longtime goal of living in Spain. In the end, it simply didn't work out. The disappointment was devastating and left me feeling wounded.  Eight months passed before I was finally able to overcome my fear of trying again.  It was at that point that I began to ask myself what it was that I was most passionate about.  Travel and tourism.

Midtown Atlanta
For many years, I'd felt the desire to return to school and pursue an advanced degree.  Unsure of the course of study, I threw off despair and attended graduate school fairs and networked my way into information sessions.  With every handshake, the conversation would always shift to travel. Then came the handshake that would change the course of my life.  It was an admissions representative from a university with a tourism administration program.  I was floored when he revealed that the things I loved: travel, tourism, hotels, and events such as music festivals, all fell under the umbrella of hospitality. In the end, I chose not to apply because the program would have required me to relocate to a city that I wasn't thrilled about residing in. But never will I forget the guidance he provided. Soon after, opportunity arrived in the form of a highly ranked hospitality program at a renowned research university in Atlanta. And after dedicating months to the rigorous application process, I officially became a 2017 candidate for a Master of Global Hospitality Management.

Buckhead District
I'm proud to say that I'm well into my first semester and thriving.  It feels amazing to pursue my master's in a city that is often referred to as the hub of tourism in the southeastern United States. Through this experience, I've learned that life isn't meant to be one dimensional.  I'm a solo traveling corporate girl by day and college kid by night. Other than dedicating all of my spare time to reading, writing and researching, not much has changed.  I still travel, only now it's through the pages of hospitality and tourism textbooks. Reading case studies on my favorite hotel groups, presenting on the Cruise Industry and acing a midterm project on France have definitely helped to keep my mind off of the fact that I haven't been on an airplane in months.  It's not easy.  But, this experience has taught me that in order to possess a lifetime of travel, I have to temporarily set aside my desire to travel.  ♥︎



2 comments:

  1. Your short-term delayed gratification in order to work on your long-term goals will easily outweigh the sacrifices. I'm so proud of you & happy to call you my friend. Masters bound & plenty of traves abroad!

    Joy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Joy! You're an awesome friend!

      Delete