The First Solo Traveler I Ever Met

Newlyweds
It was cold, but the cold part I could handle.  What I couldn’t handle was the wait.  The past five minutes had seemed like five hours.  The metal brushing against my leg, combined with the smell of latex, only added to my anxiety.  Counting backwards from 20 seemed to help me relax.  But the sound of the door opening caused my anxiety to come rushing back. She entered the room.  Fashionable.  Stunning.  That’s her…my Gynecologist.  

On this particular day, her accessories were extra extravagant.  Most fascinating were her shoes with the crimson soles.  “Is she really going to do my pap in THOSE shoes?” I asked myself.  “Go ahead and lay back darling,” she says as she reaches for the latex gloves that had been harassing my nostrils since I entered the examination room.  My foot cramps as she reaches for the lubricant.  I place my feet in the metal stirrups and do as I’m told.

“Have anything exciting planned for the summer?”  She asked.  “Actually, I just returned from a music festival in New Orleans, so the rest of the summer should be pretty low key.  What about you?” I responded.  Unable to contain her excitement, she replied “I’m heading to the Dominican Republic.”  By now, I’ve realized that the casual travel talk is actually taking my mind off the pressure she’s putting on my uterus.  “WOW!  That sounds like an awesome trip.  Will it be just you and your husband?” I asked.  As if I had committed an offense, she replied, “No ma’am.  I’m leaving him at home with the kids.  It’s just me and a stack of novels.  No husband.  No kids.  No friends.”

My annual exam came to a close.  But, I couldn’t help but wonder to myself.  “Why would a beautiful, successful, married mother of two feel the need to travel alone?”  I thought that when people got married, every vacation thereafter was a couple’s trip or a fun family getaway.  As I redressed, it finally hit me.  Those are the people who benefit the most from solo travel.  It’s almost a necessity for them.  They are wives, mothers, daughters, husbands, fathers, and sons who lead very full lives.  Lives full of meetings, little league games, cheerleading practices, doctor’s appointments, school visits, household errands and caring for aging parents.  Who would’ve thought that a married woman could show a single woman the importance of getting away from it all?  That taking time to renew and restore benefits not only you, but those around you.  We are a help to no one when we’re not at our best and stressed.  Many years have passed since that enlightening day.  I’ve since moved on to a new physician, but I’ll forever be grateful for that day.  My Gynecologist was the first solo traveler I ever met.       

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I so love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I appreciate your support!

      Delete