In Search of Solitude: Hilton Head Island

I was tired.  Tired of people, politics, traffic, and reality TV.  To be honest, I was tired of me.  So, I set out in search of a place that would take me away and yet bring me back.  A place that would revive and restore.  The ocean was a requirement for it’s obvious calming effects, minus the spring break crowd.  I had no interest in beach parties or bonfires.  Based on those criteria alone, Florida and the Gulf Coast were out.  I could fly to the Caribbean or California, but the airfares resembled those of European destinations.  At that point, I did what anyone else would do; I asked around.  Three friends, two coworkers, and one cousin later, I’d chosen my destination.

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.  A short, five hour drive from Atlanta.  The route would lead me through my hometown where I would take advantage of an overnight stay with family.  Three hours after leaving Macon the next morning, I cruised into mainland Hilton Head.  After another 20 minutes, I arrived on the island.  The vibe changed instantly.


Racing from one stop light to the next was a thing of the past.  Highways and toll roads gave way to roundabouts.  Cars were outnumbered by bikes.  Never in my life had I seen a place where there were more bicycles than vehicles.


Signs seemed to lower and lamp posts were hidden by southern live oak trees covered in Spanish moss.  It was downright whimsical and the closest I'd ever been to experiencing a fairy tale.    

 
I’d booked a three day, two night stay at The Beach House.  Appropriately titled for it's direct access to the beach, the location was prime.  With a hotel staff so extremely accommodating, my guess is that they'd welcomed their share of solo travelers.


Remember those rowdy spring breakers I was trying to avoid?  Mission accomplished.  Coligny Beach bustled with solace seeking individuals of all ages just like me.  A beach where counting dolphins, watching seagulls, and flying kites is preferred over banana boats and bumpin’ and grindin’.

    
As if the walks along the beach weren’t relaxing enough, I scheduled a service at popular day spa, The Art of Massage. Upon entering the spa, I was greeted by a vibrant, yet calming mural.  It beckoned and reassured me that I would be restored to my old self.  After a 60 minute relaxation massage, my Hilton Head experience quickly reached euphoria status.  


In need of a little retail therapy, I headed over to Coligny Plaza.  A short walk from Coligny Beach, here you'll find specialty shoppes, souvenir booths, restaurants, and a theatre showing independent films.


The true measure of any beach destination is the quality of seafood.  Many of the restaurants on the island have their own boat, allowing the fisherman to serve fresh, local catch every day.  From fried shrimp to fish tacos, I can attest that Hilton Head is a seafood lover’s paradise.


What sets Hilton Head apart is the balance between beach and green space. Known for its lush golf courses and pedestrian friendly parks, the town is committed to maintaining it's natural beauty (and inhabitants).    


I was a different person in Hilton Head.  No longer rushing from here to there, my heart was happy.  I was free to be me; calm and at peace.  I’m looking forward to being me again real soon.


Have you visited Hilton Head Island? I'd love to hear about your experience on the Carolina coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment