Three Reasons People Are Afraid to Travel Solo

I remember the day I boarded my first international flight.  I was a nervous wreck headed to the capital of Catalonia on my own.  Adding angst was that fact that I was alone.  In a futile attempt to calm my nerves, I arrived at the airport four hours prior to departure.  Having waited nine years to realize my dream of studying in Spain, turning back wasn't an option.
  
Flag of Spain

The story ends well. Spain reignited my passion for art, history and travel. Ultimately becoming the foundation for this blog.  As a solo travel warrior, I often meet people who wish they could do the same. When asked what keeps them from traveling alone, they begin to rattle off reasons why they're afraid to travel solo.   


"I'm afraid of not having someone to talk to."

When it comes to solo travel fears, I've heard them all.  But, this one holds the top spot on the solo travel fear list.  What surprises me the most is that it always comes from a seemingly outgoing person. The type of person who enters a room and by the time they leave, everyone knows their name.  It boggles my mind that this person lacks the self confidence to travel solo.  It's almost as if they don't trust themselves to meet people while traveling.  An effective way to test the solo travel waters and ensure tons of enlightening conversation is with a volunteer vacation.  I've experienced two amazing volunteer vacations; as a Hurricane Disaster Relief Agent here in the States and as an English Language Assistant in Spain.  With both, my days were filled to the brim with amazing encounters, all the while feeling as though I'd made an impact on someone's life. One might find it hard to believe that I'm extremely reserved and have to work at being outgoing.  If I can step off an airplane not knowing a soul and walk away with lifelong friends, anyone can.


Volunteering as an English Language Assistant in La Alberca


"I'm afraid of feeling lonely."

Loneliness is a part of life.  Nothing changes your perspective on loneliness like being in a room full of familiar faces and still feeling alone.  Better to be lonely walking along the Champs Elysées than posted up at a club full of frisky men who keep "accidentally" brushing up against you.  There is, however, a cure for loneliness while traveling. It's called a bike tour, food tour, or walking tour. Tours are a simple, yet entertaining way to meet others. I prefer walking tours because they tend to be less expensive and often times have a "pay what you feel" rate. Whatever your vice, there is a tour that caters to it.  Go ahead...book a tour, or two or three.


Free walking tour in Madrid


"I'm afraid of what people will think."

I've met countless people who go solo, but don't want others know.  Whether it's a concert in the park or dinner at their favorite restaurant, they are no strangers to going at it alone. Sadly, they're ashamed of their own tenacity.  Caring more about what others think than their own happiness.  Let's face it. We live in a society of labels.  Not the kind stitched inside the garments of your favorite designer.  But those unwarranted labels that we place on others because it makes us feel comfortable with unfulfilled areas of our own lives.  People love to label solo travelers. As you embark on your solo travels, you will experience labeling and name calling.  I've been called crazy, different, and independent. Over the years, I've learned to let these labels cascade down my shoulders as if they were a new silk pashmina scarf.  I refuse to allow anyone to make me feel ashamed for having the audacity to travel solo. For I know that beneath the surface of all the name calling is an individual secretly wishing they had an ounce of the courage that I do.


Standing tall at Los Cuatro Postes in Ávila.

Do any of these fears ring true for you?  If so, I'd love to hear from you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment