Follow The Signs | Eating My Way Through New Orleans

Embarking on my first solo trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, I never imagined that I'd meet five women traveling alone just like me. We'd bond over sightseeing, dancing and mounds of creole cuisine. Having visited New Orleans on five occasions, I've been privy to the city's evolution.  But, there is one aspect of the city that never changes. The amazing food.  Try as a I might, I've yet to find a city that does food better than NOLA.  For that reason, I've compiled a list of my all time favorite dishes and the eateries that serve them.  Follow the signs as I eat my way through New Orleans.

Best Beignets


New Orleans is sprinkled with cafes serving great beignets.  But, I loathe having to stand in line for an hour just to get one.  Morning Call Coffee Stand is an answered prayer.  No matter how busy this 24 hour eatery gets, there is always seating in the spacious interior or exterior.
Tip:  Visit the City Park location and burn off all those calories with a stroll through the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden.





Best Brunch Buffet

Everyone has different buffet expectations.  For me, it has to be clean and the food must be freshly prepared.  You'll get both at Court of Two Sisters.
Tip:  They accept reservations.  Make one.




Best Fried Catfish

The seafood platters at Deanie's Seafood are atrocious.  In a good way.  I have yet to meet anyone who has finished their meal at Deanie's.  But oh, what a joy it is to try.
Tip:  There is always a line.  Your patience will be rewarded.




Best Pancakes

You know the pancakes are good when they don't need syrup.  The blueberry pancakes at Café Fleur de Lis are a great way to start your day.
Tip:  Beat the line by arriving as soon as they open.




Best Red Beans and Rice

I'm not a fan of sausage.  You can imagine my surprise when the waitress at Oceana informed me that andouille sausage was one of the main ingredients in their red beans and rice.
Tip:  Be prepared to have a little spice added to your life.




Best Shrimp Omelet

An omelet without shrimp is called scrambled eggs.  Jimmy J's Cafe won my heart with an omelet stuffed with large shrimp, sautéed spinach, red peppers and onions.
Tip:  The restaurant is small.  Get there early or you'll be waiting in this line.




Best Hurricane

Having sampled my fair share of Hurricanes, I consider myself to be a good judge of beverage.  Not a one compare to the Hurricane served in a mason jar at Daisy Dukes.
Tip:  Don't try to finish it as I don't think it's humanly possible.  



From no stars to five stars, I've dined at a plethora of restaurants in the Crescent City.  It's quite possible that a food critic or two will dice this list and balk at my choices.  That's to be expected.  We can amicably disagree. It's impossible to capture the variety and totality of New Orleans cuisine in one sitting.  One thing is for certain, I can always count on these restaurants to produce my favorite eats. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment