Chicago: Public Art Paradise

Art is a gift.  Whether it's performing arts or visual arts, you can tell a lot about a city by it's abundance or lack, of art.  After spending a frigid five days in the Windy City, it became clear that the mid west metropolis has an undying appreciation for it's residents and visitors.  That appreciation is evident in the public art displayed throughout the city.  With marvels at every turn, I wandered the city for hours on end.  Here is a glimpse into the public art paradise known as Chicago, Illinois.

Cloud Gate, Anish Kapoor

Crown Fountain, Jaume Plensa

Flamingo, Alexander Calder

Four Seasons, Marc Chagall

Looking into My Dreams Awilda, Jaume Plensa
  
Monument with Standing Beast, Jean Dubuffet

Paula, Laura and Inez, Jaume Plensa

Untitled, Pablo Picasso

Truth be told, the freezing temperatures nearly turned me into a southern belle with no desire to leave her hotel room.  But, as luck would have it, I was able to connect with the Choose Chicago Tourism Board a few weeks prior to my visit. Those Chicago loving individuals introduced me to the Chicago Greeter program which provides free, two to four hour guided tours of the city.  I was paired with Bobbie, an awesome greeter with an amazing spirit.  Many of the public art pieces that you see here were photographed during my tour with Bobbie.  I'm so glad that she and I braved the elements to explore this impressive city.  That's what Chicago does to you.  Even in the frigid cold, it draws you in and refuses to let you go.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment