Well Traveled: A Look Back At 2014

It was 1:00 a.m. on January 1, 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia and I was walking around outside in the dark with a suitcase.  No, I wasn't drunk.  I'd just returned home from ringing in the New Year downtown with friends.  Just as I was about to crawl into bed, I recalled a conversation I'd had with a well traveled friend weeks earlier.  She said, "Travel is a habit.  The more you travel, the more you will travel."  She then began to tell me of a New Year's tradition in her native Cuba. Walking around with an empty suitcase is said to bring an abundance of travel in the coming year.  Regardless of what others may deem as pure superstition, I've traveled to more destinations in 2014 than ever before.

Downtown Atlanta

The month of March found me in northwestern Spain, a country as near and dear to my heart as the United States.  At the recommendation of a friend whom I'd met while studying abroad in Barcelona in 2012, I'd signed up to volunteer as an English Language Assistance to a group of Spanish business professionals. La Alberca, Spain was my first taste of Spain's countryside and I couldn't have asked for better surroundings or accommodations.

Peña de Francia Mountain
Abadía de los Templarios Resort
Downtown La Alberca

After eight days of nonstop English lessons, I ventured to Madrid, Spain and explored the city for six days.  My expectations of Spain's capital were minimal. Ironically, I found the city and it's museums to be quite majestic.  Not only that, Madrid earned the title of my favorite city in Spain for tapas.

Puerta de Alcalá
The Prado Museum

My return to the U.S. from Spain was prolonged in the form of a long layover in Paris, France.  As enchanting as the whirlwind experience was, the Paris layover was also exhausting.

Eiffel Tower from the River Seine

I rested for three months before hitting the road again and returned to the location of my first solo trip; New Orleans, Louisiana.  Two years had passed since my last visit to NOLA.  I was ecstatic to return for Fourth of July weekend and celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Essence Festival.  Prince headlining the festival was the highlight of my summer.  Scoring tickets to concerts on all three nights definitely made it an Essence Fest to remember.

The French Quarter
Mercedes-Benz Superdome

Before I could unpack my weekend bag, my mom began hinting at a mini family getaway for the month of August.  In need of a vacation from my last vacation, we took a three hour road trip to nearby Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. What better way to restore than along the Atlantic's Carolina Coast.

The Sonesta Resort
Shipyard Beach

With Thanksgiving and Christmas being my favorite holidays, it's a time of the year that I've always preferred to be surrounded by family.  For both, I traveled 75 miles south of Atlanta to my hometown of Macon, Georgia.  It was time well spent at home with family and friends.

Christmas Morning
Christmas Evening

For the first time in 11 years, I rang in the New Year in a new city.  The Windy City to be exact. Initially slowed down by the multiple layers of clothing needed to survive a midwest winter, I quickly regained my wandering spirit and roamed the city from sun up to sun down. Even in frigid weather, Chicago, Illinois is remarkable.

Cloud Gate at Millennium Park

It's been an incredible year of travel.  Not bad for a solo travel girl who blogs while maintaining a full-time career.  Oddly, of all my travels, Paris and Chicago were the only true solo adventures of 2014. The others provided the opportunity to reunite with old travel buddies, form new friendships and travel with my mom for the first time since grade school.  To be surrounded by others who identify with my passion for travel is a blessing.  As readers and supporters of Singles On Lifelong Adventures, you have my infinite gratitude.  I'm looking forward to a 2015 filled with mind blowing adventures! Happy New Year! 
  

             

1 comment: